|Description:||Supply clean water for a Banana Packing plant|
|Goal:||Ferric, Manganese and Latex Removal from delaxing pools|
|Water Source:||A private deep well|
- The plant’s well water contained Ferric and Manganese.
- The incoming bananas oozed Latex from the cut.
- The combination of the above turned the water color to purple and stained the bananas.
- Water turbidity was above the maximum allowable level.
- Water polluted with germs and fecal coliforms.
- Wastewater were not recycled and created ecological problems downstream.
|Parameter||Existing Values||Required Value|
|Turbidity (NTU)||150||< 10|
|Coliform Forming Units (CFU/100 ml)||1,500||< 10|
|Color (UC)||500||< 30|
|Ferric (mg/l)||1.5||< 1|
|Manganese (mg/l)||0.4||< 0.2|
|Water & Energy Cost||Minimize|
The following processes were carried out:
- Side-stream circulation: Screen Filtration with automatic back wash.
- Oxidation of Ferric, Manganese and Latex into a lamella reactor: Implementing Hydrogen Peroxide with redox control.
- Coagulant dosing in order to agglomerate the oxidized fine particles into bigger flocs.
- Media Filtration: Catalytic Media Filters – implementing AFM®.
Lamela-Oxidation-Reactor (L.O.R.) Process
Exterior view of the Catalytic Media Filters
|Parameter||Required Value||Before treatment||After treatment|
|Iron (mg/l)||< 1||1.5||0.3|
|Manganese (mg/l)||< 0.2||0.4||0|
|Color (color units)||< 10||500||10|
|Turbidity (NTU)||< 10||150||2|
|Colony forming units CFU/100 ml||1,500||1,500||10|
|Appearance of delaxing pools||Purple-black||Clear|
|Water saving (%)||0||84%|
|Electricity saving (%)||0||40%|
Dryden Aqua’s Deliverables: